Help on where to file an appraisal complaint


Determine the type of complaint

Determine if your complaint involves appraisal independence or USPAP compliance.


Get an instant referral online, or contact us

We will ask you a series of questions about your complaint. You will receive a list of 1-3 State and federal agencies that may have jurisdiction over the complaint.


Contact the regulatory agencies in your referral

ASC does not initiate complaints on your behalf. To begin the complaint process, contact the agencies in your referral.

What the Hotline does

The Hotline refers complaints about appraisal independence and USPAP compliance.

Appraisal Independence

Includes failing to pay an appraiser customary and reasonable fees, improper influencing or attempted improper influencing of appraisers or the appraisal process.

USPAP Compliance

Includes making false or misleading statements in an appraisal, performing an assignment in a frost negligent manner, and violating appraiser-client confidentiality.

More about Appraisal Independence and USPAP ComplianceMore about Appraisal Independence and USPAP Compliance

The Hotline does not

  • File a complaint on your behalf
  • Act as an advocate
  • Determine whether a complaint has merit
  • Assist in appealing the outcome of an investigation of an agency to which you are referred
  • Intervene in any way with the complaint process of a regulatory agency concerning your complaint, the investigation, or the final outcome

The Appraisal Complaint National Hotline does not offer referrals for suspected fraud and certain kinds of complaints. However, resources are available.

Resources for Other Kinds of Complaints Resources for Other Kinds of Complaints
Complaints Regarding Alleged Appraisal Bias/Discrimination

Complaints Regarding Alleged Appraisal Bias/Discrimination

If you feel you have been a victim of appraisal bias, you can submit a complaint with HUD’s Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity office to get help.

If you believe a lender discriminated against you, including by using an improper appraisal, you can submit a complaint to the CFPB.

Such complaints should also be reported to the State Appraiser Regulatory Agency for appropriate action and/or referral.

The Department of Justice, Housing and Civil Enforcement Section, also enforces the Fair Housing Act. The Department of Justice brings suits on behalf of individuals based on referrals from HUD.

More Resources

More Resources

Answers to frequently asked questions about the Hotline’s mission, filing
complaints, federal and state regulatory agencies, and the appraisal process.